Thursday, February 21, 2013

New city, new everything


A lot has changed since my last post.. I quit my well paying job to follow my dream.. everything has worked perfectly so far.
I had my interview for a CFI position, I passed the interview to go to standardization class.. I gave a 4 week notice at my older job in order to have someone trained.. I was able to get some bonus from my last year sales, so that really helped me for all these extra expenses that moving will bring.
I was able to rent my house in the last minute.. it is, as most of the homes in the United States, underwater.. not by much but enough not to be able to sell it. I really had my hopes down there, specially because the day that we put it for rent, the house in front of mine went foreclosure and it was selling at half price of what I bought mine. So anyway, the planets aligned in the last minute and a renter signed a lease for one year.. I am so glad that it happened, I didn't want to go through all the headache of a short sale and I would not like the bank to be behind me if I had decided to walk out of it.
Last week, on February 15th, I rented a 16' truck with a dolly to bring all of our stuff and my car to Denton. It is really tough to move from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment.. most of our crap went to Goodwill and a lot of it just went directly to the trash. If we haven't used things in a year then most likely we don't need them.
The day before the standardization class I get a message in one of the pilot forums, from a guy who was supposed to start standardization with me.. he said that they told him that instead of February 18th, it was moved 2 weeks after to march 4th, so he went back home, but wanted to know if I have heard anything about it.. and I did not get the memo.
I showed up the next morning and the lady at the front desk was confused of why was I showing up for standardization  since it was not scheduled.. she told me to call the assistant chief pilot and so I did. Fortunately, I wasn't the only one that didn't get the memo and they managed to start a mini-standardization class for both of us so we didn't have to be waiting two weeks after driving so long. The other guy came from Utah and drove about 20 hours.
We are now on day 4th of standardization; we are not hired yet.. the past 4 days have been intense. We were assigned 25 topics each and we had to give class on each of the topics.. we are done today with the classes but I am tired.. at the same time, I love it! I am learning a lot, and I definitely love Texas. My commute has been reduced from 50 minutes in Atlanta to around 12 minutes here. The people at the flight school are very friendly and willing to help and they are flying a lot of hours every month.
Tomorrow we will have a written test and a flight test.. and I believe that after that we will be told If they will take us or not.
Wish me luck!

No comments: