Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My first "dual given" hours


I was able to pass the standardization class, written test and flight test.. after the flight last week, which was done in a Cessna 172R, I was pleased to hear those words I have been awaiting for .. "welcome aboard".. The night before my flight test, I couldn't sleep well, I was extremely nervous. My mind was just thinking.- "Abraham, you are under contract with the apartment complex for 14 months, you left your comfort zone, you brought your family here, you are the head of the house.. if you don't pass this flight test and therefore, don't get hired.. you will be working probably at Jack in the Box for a while.."
I know there are ways to do things.. there are extreme risks, and there are "calculated risks". I could have taken some time off my job, and give a two week notice after getting hired.. I could have stayed in a cheap motel during my training here and if I get hired, then I would get the apartment.. why didn't I do that? I don't know! It was extremely risky but at the same time, it was my cheapest option!! The apartment complex had a special where for only US$99 I could sign up and stay for the month of February for free! My father in law was here visiting from Uruguay as well, so he was an extra hand to help us move.
Maybe in my mind; knowing that it was all or nothing.. that was maybe part of the booster I needed to stay up late studying, chair flying, and doing my best to pass my standardization class and fulfill my dream.

After I passed, I have been checked out in a variety of new airplanes for me.. one of them is the Cessna 152.. I love it! Is like a go-kart with wings.. very easy to maneuver but they are older than who knows what!! But it's good that we have great maintenance  Then the Diamond DA-40 Diamond Star.. holly cow.. that is so much fun to fly I fell in love with it. This Saturday I am getting checked out in the Diamond DA-20 Eclipse, which is a smaller version but I've heard is pretty fun as well.

This past week, flying has been scarce at the school.. the winds we are getting in Texas are just insane!!! One METAR reported wind shear at 1200 ft of 50 knots!! And normally we have had a crosswind of more than 20 knots, which means "no flying".

But today was probably the most beautiful day we've ever had. I have already been assigned some students and have had to reschedule them due to weather.. well, now I was pretty excited to get a private student who is ready to solo. When I get to the little 152, there was a significant oil leak under the front wheel.."this can't be happening" i thought.. now that I get the best weather. I called maintenance and was told to write a report on it and squawk it.. which means, it is not permitted to go up until maintenance takes a look at it. So my student and I wen't back to the front desk pretty disappointed.. I returned the keys and the girl from dispatch just said: "I have another airplane, do you want it?" I was already one hour late on this flight and had an instructor meeting in one hour, I went to the program director, who is my boss and told him the situation. He just said.. don't worry, you can be late to the meeting.. go fly!! So I went find my student and we went up!
I definitely love instructing, we did slow flight, stalls, steep turns, and simulated engine failure. Then we went back to the airport and did 3 touch and goes... It was great. The student is taking his stage check now and if he passes, he will be able to solo. I already got lined up a couple of private pilots who are working towards their instrument rating.. and from here, hoping the weather gets better, the countdown for 1,500 hours will start. Today I signed my first 1.4 hours of flight time as a flight instructor.

No comments: